Technology which is based on some specific feature or concept is referred as Object oriented Technology or Object Technology. Thus the concepts of Object Technology are as follows:
Concept of Object Technology:
• Objects: Objects are nothing but the entities of the class accessing variable members and member functions of that class.
• Classes: Collection of similar type of object is called as class. For example, class student is the collection of students having some common characteristics.
• Data abstraction: Data abstraction refers to the act of representing essential features without including the background details or explanations. Classes use the concept of abstraction and are defined as a list of abstract attributes.
Data encapsulation: The wrapping up of data and functions into a single unit is known as encapsulation. Object oriented paradigm is based on encapsulation of data and codes whose contents are not visible to outside world. Conceptually the interaction thus occurs through massage passing.
• Inheritance: Inheritance is the process in which one class acquire the properties of another class.The concept of inheritance provides the idea of reusability.
• Polymorphism: Polymorphism is a process in which a class has all the state and behavior of another class. Polymorphism thus in short defined as “ same name, many form”. More precisely, Polymorphism in object-oriented programming is the ability of objects belonging to different data types to respond to calls of method of the same name, each one according to an appropriate type-specific behavior.Polymorphism is achieved using operator overloading and function overloading. For example, “+” operator can be used for concatenation of two strings.
• Message passing: The process by which an object sends data to another object or asks the other object to invoke a method or function is referred as message passing.
Object oriented languages:
Some object oriented languages are as given below:
• Simula 67
Applications of Object Technology:
Applications of Object Technology are as given below:
- • Real-time system
• Simulation and modeling
• Object oriented database
• Hypertext, hypermedia
• AI and expert system
• Neural networks and parallel programming
• CAM/CAD system
Object oriented database:
Object oriented database is designed to deal with complex data types such as address. Basically address consist of different subparts such as street-address, city, state, and postal code etc. Object oriented database is based on the three specific concepts of object oriented technology and that concepts are encapsulation, abstraction and inheritance.
Approaches to create object oriented database:
There are two approaches for creating object oriented database and are:
- Adding the concepts of object orientation to existing database languages.
- Extending existing object oriented languages to deal with databases.
Relational database management system (RDBMS):
Relational database management system (RDBMS) is a database management system (DBMS) that is based on the relational model /relational algebra.
RDBMS is the basis for SQL, and for all modern database systems like MS SQL Server, IBM DB2, Oracle, MySQL, and Microsoft Access.
The data in RDBMS is stored in database objects called tables .A table is the most common and simplest form of data storage in a relational database.The table is a collection of related data entries and it consists of columns and rows.
Object oriented database management system(OODBMS):
When database capabilities are combined with object-oriented (OO) programming language capabilities, the result is an object database management system (OODBMS).
Information today includes not only data but video, audio, graphs, and photos which are considered complex data types. Relational DBMS aren’t natively capable of supporting these complex data types.
As the usage of web-based technology increases with the implementation of Intranets and extranets, companies have a vested interest in OODBMS to display their complex data.
Thus, OODBMS use exactly the same model as object-oriented programming languages.
For more information on this topic refer following link:
for more information refer the links as given below: